If you haven’t jumped on the teff bandwagon yet, you’re missing out. It’s the smallest grain in the world but it packs a big nutritional punch. Teff is full of protein, fibre, calcium and iron, making it a great low-GI alternative to other gluten-free grains. We’re particularly excited to announce that Teff Tribe‘s brown teff flour will be featuring in our July boxes. We came across this mouthwatering recipe for crispy baked zucchini fries, made with brown teff flour, on their website, and we couldn’t not share it with you!
Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
Serves 3 – 4 as a snack or side dish
Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries:
4 medium zucchini, sliced into rectangles
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 organic free-range eggs, lightly whisked
1 cup teff brown flour
1/3 cup almond meal
Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 large, ripe avocado
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Himalayan salt and cracked pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200C, fan-forced.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic and olive oil. Using a pastry brush, coat each piece of zucchini in the oil mixture.
- In a different medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine the teff flour, almond meal, salt pepper and spices.
- Dip each piece of zucchini into the egg mixture then immediately coat in the flour.
- Transfer each piece onto a large greased baking tray, ensuring that each chip is evenly spaced.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the zucchini fries just feel soft when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place the ‘dip’ ingredients in a small food processor and blend until smooth.
- Remove the zucchini fries from the oven and serve with the avocado dip.
A huge thanks to our friends at Teff Tribe for sharing this recipe with us!
– The Sugarfree Box team