Hands up if you’ve ever packed a broth or soup in a jar for lunch, only to have it leak all through your bag before you even have the chance to eat it. Yeah, we’ve been there too and it stinks – literally. As much as bone broth makes the most amazing snack for when the 3.30pm sugar cravings hit, it can also be a pain to cart around with you. Fortunately, we came across a great brand called Sinchies (we might be a tiny bit biased because they’re a fellow Queensland business!) who have created reusable pouches – perfect for carting this bone broth recipe around. Sinchies pouches also allow you to make your own sugar-free version of yoghurt squeeze pouches for kids (or kids at heart).
Every Autumn Box contains a Savvy Sinchies Kit, just in time for soup season. Get a one-off Autumn Box, or subscribe and save today!
This bone broth recipe is quite adaptable, and the amount you make will depend on the quantity of bones you have, and the size of your slow cooker. Make a large batch and freeze in Sinchies pouches, ready to grab and go!
Basic Beef Bone Broth Recipe
- Beef soup bones
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 brown onions, sliced into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- A few stalks of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Place the bones in a large stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring it to the boil and then leave it to simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the bones are simmering, preheat the oven to 220C.
- Drain the water and place the bones on a baking tray. Roast until the bones are dark brown.
- Place the bones, along with any liquid they excreted during the roasting stage, into a slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic, thyme, vinegar and salt.
- Fill with enough cold water to just cover the bones and turn the slow cooker to the high setting.
- Bring it to the boil, and then turn the slow cooker to the low setting and leave for 8 – 10 hours.
- Once it is cooked, drain the liquid and taste. You may need to add more salt at this stage if the liquid tastes bland.
- Divide the mixture into Sinchies pouches and freeze.