Black bread is definitely one of the more unique food trends we’ve seen around lately, and it’s been popping up everywhere – from avocado on charcoal bread to black burger buns. The ingredient giving these foods their unique colour is activated charcoal, an ingredient we’ve decided to include in this season’s Sugarfree Box. Inside every Autumn Box, you’ll find a pack of Organic Activated Coconut Charcoal from Perth-based health food business, We Are True.
Want to learn how to make your own black bread? Maybe you want to impress your friends by serving them black burger buns? The activated charcoal bread recipe below is the way to go.
Activated Charcoal Bread Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups teff flour
- 4 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Organic Activated Coconut Charcoal
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan bake.
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Combine the teff flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Form a well in the centre of the bowl and add the water, olive oil, eggs and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix until the ingredients are well combined. Note that the consistency will be runnier than normal bread dough – this is normal.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
As this charcoal bread recipe is gluten-free, the bread is more dense than you would expect. Slice into thinner slices, and enjoy with butter or avocado. Yum!
Take our 7 day sugar-free challenge!
- Receive our challenge ebook with tips on dealing with cravings, grocery shopping, reading labels, and more.
- Access our support forum, where you can chat with other people on the same sugar-free journey.
- Receive daily support emails to keep you motivated.